Thursday, October 17, 2013

punkins

This weekend me and the kids headed down to our home away from home for some fall fun.  Back in August at one of our trips to the Roger Williams Zoo we saw all these wood planks set up. Wondering what they were for we asked and were told it was for their Jack O Lantern Spectacular. We'd seen the signs up years before, but never really thought much about it. The kids were kinda too young in the past, but I decided that this was the year to go.

totally just took  borrowed this picture from RW site. :)

We had no idea what we were in for. I'll spare you the crazy details, but let's just say crowded doesn't do this even justice.  When we FINALLY found a place to park and walked to the entrance there was a  pretty substantial line, but it was moving. We passed a sign that said "You are 120 minutes from the start".  I brushed this off as a joke because I could clearly see we were close to the entrance and was like 'hahah zoo, you funny"

Approximately 2 hours later we were at the start of the pumpkin path. hmph.

The zoo is tricky. It warns you that you have a long wait, but the line keeps moving, you get to buy tickets, there are snacks and lot of glowing gifts you can buy, and then you stand, in darkness, in the zoo, waiting.  I had a general idea of where the path started and normally it would take about 3 minutes to walk there. But this wasn't a normal night. It was a Saturday, on a long weekend. We are crazy.  The time actually went by pretty quickly, and I tried to use this time to get my settings right so I could take what I was sure would be AMAZING pictures with my fancy camera.  I also asked my Mom to take a few pictures of me and the kids and that was an EPIC fail.  For some reason the pictures were deleted from my phone or I would share them, but basically she managed to only take pictures of below our heads. I have no idea how this is even possible...

So there were two types of pumpkins. Your "normal" carved jack-o-lanterns, and then ones like these that were kinda etched. the detail was AMAZING! The kicker is, they go through 20,000 pumpkins during the run of the show. Pumpkins are food, food goes bad, this means these unbelievable pumpkin artists need to create these pieces of art more than once. God bless em!


This was my FAVORITE! They call it the laughing tree. Legit pumpkins from the ground all the way up to the tippity top of this tree. Crazy!

 I should probably mention that every year they have a theme. This year was the 50 states...or something like that. So there were different scenes from different regions, then areas that paid tribute to important thing in history. Like the signing of documents and famous musicians and stuff. There were also som amazing pumpkins near the end to pay tribute to the Boston Marathon and Newtown CT. I'm not gonna lie. I cried.





 PUMPKINS!!!
 My Mom finally managed to take a half decent picture of me and at least one of my kids :)

None of these photos do any of it justice. I suggest you just go to RI and check it out yourself, or you can watch this video I found about last year's show. Pinky swear real pictures from my fancy camera next year.







 photo sig13_zps3dac127e.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment